Love is in the air! - Mr and Mrs Hearts for breakfast
Here's what I did for dessert. It is a very simple item, don't sure if it is worthy to be sent in for the Aspiring Bakers #4: Love in the Air (Feb 2011) hosted by Cuisine Paradise.
Agar agar has a crunchier texture than jelly or jello. I feel it is really refreshing on a hot day. Isn't it befitting for a Valentine's theme, complete with romantic pink and mild rosy scent? Plus strawberries!
2-layer agar agar with heart-shaped strawberries
37g agar agar strips (I use Pagoda brand)
2.5 litres of water
1 teaspoon of rose essence
0.5 teaspoon of red colouring
150ml of coconut cream
8 strawberries - halved and shaped into heart-shape
1. Boil water in a pot. Place agar agar strips and stir till dissolved
2. Leaving half of the mixture in the pot (with small fire), stir essence and colouring into the other half.
3. Pour into mould. This would be the top layer. Place in the fridge. When it is semi-set, push strawberries into the agar agar. Put back into the fridge.
4. Stir coconut cream into the remaining mixture in the pot.
5. When the top layer has set, pour the coconut layer into the mould. Chill till set
Just a thought... this side profile just reminds me so much of mahjong tiles! hehehe
Had some remaining coconut mixture, placed them into cutie moulds: